Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Course 3: Final Class (Class 4)

Last night we had our final class for Course 3. We learned how to cover a cake in fondant and then we decorated with our flowers that we made over the last 3 weeks. It was a pretty fun class actually, pretty low key. Fondant is really easy to work with actually, I mean it tears and gets stretch marks really easy but it’s really an easy way to make a cake look REALLY good. Fondant is very forgiving in some ways and unforgiving in others. It is forgiving in the sense that you don’t have to have your cake perfectly iced for it to look good, however, if you get the littlest bit of lint or anything on it you will see it.

I really liked working with fondant, but it’s expensive and kind of a waste of money for just an every day cake because no one really eats the fondant anyway. I would say that you would use it for the grand occasions where you want the cake to be picture perfect, such as weddings or anniversaries. The fondant takes quite a bit of time as well. You have to first ice the cake in buttercream and then you have to roll out the fondant and get it placed on the cake without tearing or stretching it out. But then again you cannot argue with how good it looks when it is done! 

Here is a picture of my finished cake: 

I have to say this cake class has been absolutely amazing. I have loved every minute of it and learned so much! I can’t wait to have kids someday to be able to make them the awesomest cakes ever! Until then I guess I’ll be making them for friends and family members! 

How are you guys handling the winter? It’s back to being warm again up here instead of the subzero temps we had last week. I can’t say that I mind, but I don’t want all the snow to go away yet. It’s been nice having it around finally! 

Hope all is well!


XOXO,






No comments:

Post a Comment