Thursday, November 10, 2011

Adventures in Cake Decorating

Well Tuesday night was tons of fun.  It was really fun to learn all the basics of how to bake the best cake, how to fill a cake, make smooth frosting, how to make frosting, etc.  You never really realize how much work goes into something until you give it a go yourself.  I now truly respect the cost of a well decorated cake.  That has been the major eye opener so far, the cost of getting everything you need to be able to do a quarter of what these professionals are able to do!  But in the end, I could be one of these professionals so that is kind of cool and exciting! 
There are 7 people in our class this round.  All but one person is mother-daughter, so that is kind of cool.  My mom is a natural at this stuff!  I was really impressed with her stars on her cookies last night.  Sorry I do not have a picture of her cookies to share, probably best! HAHA!  I’m excited for next week! 

Tuesday night we decorated cookies after she went through all the basic stuff of making the icing and filling the bags and such.  So that was fun. Here is what my first cookies look like: 


Next week we are actually doing a cake, which means that we have to bake a cake for class, make the icing; mind you it also needs to have 5 colors plus the plain white.  This could get interesting.  It is super fun though and if you get the chance I highly suggest that you look into taking a class.  It is a little expensive to get started, but what new hobby isn’t?  I cannot wait to show you my progress through this new adventure in my life. 

Now I need to practice my new skills and prepare for the craft fair this weekend.  I still have quite a bit to do for that as well.  Never a dull moment in the life of a working crafter I suppose. 

Is anyone else out there trying a new craft/hobby?  What are you guys trying? 

XOXO,


No comments:

Post a Comment