Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Course 2 Class 4: The Cake

Last night we had our final class of Course 2. In this class we used all the flowers we had made throughout Course 2 to decorate a cake. The cake itself was a double layer funfetti cake with a icing filling. We had to have the cake iced with the base icing before we arrived at class. So last night I made 3 batches of icing and ice the cake all from when I got off of work to when I went to class, a time span of about 3 hours. I got it done though, so that was good. 
So last night when we got to class we learned how to do the basket weave on the side of the cake. It is actually really simple, it’s just time consuming, but it looks awesome when it is done!  

Here is what the basket weaving looks like: 


After the basket weave was done we then put a border around the top, and then it was time for the flower arranging. The flower arranging was actually easier than I thought it would be. That was nice. I knew I wanted to use the lilies but that’s all I knew for sure. So I just started laying out the flowers, only breaking one, and this is what I came up with: 



Then I decided the cake needed a sentiment and with the New Year right around the corner why not Happy New Year. I was planning on taking the cake to work anyway, so why not! So that’s what I did: 

And another view of the finished cake: 


I had a lot of fun making all the flowers that we make in this class, however, I’m really excited to learn how to make even more flowers! Though, Course 3 the flowers are made out of gum paste and fondant instead of royal icing! How exciting! 

I have to say that I’ve really enjoyed this class, though it’s not over yet, I don’t know what I’m going to do when it is. Actually, thinking about it makes me kind of sad. So let’s not think about it and just embrace the present. 

Have you guys started any fun new crafts or hobbies? Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions to try something new? As I’ve said before I would highly recommend looking into this class if you are even thinking about it!  

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment